Dr Richard McCormick, MVB, Dip. Eq. St., MRCVS leads the team at Belmont Equine Products. Qualified as a licensed Veterinarian in both the USA (2000) and Europe (Ireland & the U.K 1968), Dr McCormick has a distinguished career as both an equine physician and race horse trainer.
Beginning in the USA in 1968 at the renowned Veterinary Practice of Dr William O. Reed, Belmont Park, New York and Hialeah Park, Florida, Richard later became responsible for the daily management of 300 mares and 7 stallions (including 1968 Horse of The Year, Dr Fager) at Tartan Farms. On his return to Ireland in 1970, Dr McCormick began a successful time as a Licensed Racehorse Trainer at the Curragh, Co. Kildare. He purchased and trained some notable horses including
- Folk Hero (1979 - 5 wins including Irish Lincolnshire, The Curragh)
- Afrique (1975 - 2 wins including Maher Nursery, Phoenix Park)
- Aristocracy (1975 - 3 wins including Group 3 Whitehall Stakes, Phoenix Parks)
- Balidares (1974 – 3 wins). Dam of Desirable (Cheveley Park Group 1 winner 1983) and Park Appeal (Chevely Park Group 1 winner 1984). Subsequently legendary brood mare and ancestress of Cape Cross, Iffraaj, Alydaress, Russian Rhythm in Australia.
- Willy Willy (1972- 7 wins including Doncaster Stakes & Champion Sprinter Ireland & UK in 1975)
- Hardboy (1971 - 6 wins including Galway Hurdle, Carroll’s Hurdle, Dundalk and Ireland’s representative in Colonial Cup, Camden, South Carolina in 1972)
1982 brought Dr. McCormick to the USA again to Clermont Farms, Germantown, New York when he was hired directly by the owner, German Industrialist, Dr Herbert Schnapka, Richard was responsible for the daily management of 300 mares, six stallions and 50 racehorses-in-training.
Back in Ireland from the late 80’s until 2000, Dr McCormick ran a mixed veterinary practice in Co Meath and started Belmont Equine Products developing patented equine dietary supplements to maximise equine health and performance. A career highlight as private stable veterinarian to HRH Prince Abdulaziz bin Fahd racing stables, Saudi Arabia in 2000 gave Richard the opportunity to further his research culminating in the development of a patented vitamin/mineral/amino acid supplement for use in oat based equine diets called Champion Oat Balancer®. Dr. McCormick continues to practice as an equine focused veterinarian with a special interest in supporting horses through balanced and optimal nutrition. He is a board member of the Claiming Races Association of Ireland.